I'd like to give a response to Arlene T.

I'm 22 and am French and, here in France, Joni Mitchell remains mostly
unknown, above all amongst the young generation. However, everyone here knows
that song by Janet Jackson using a sample from Big Yellow Taxi (the chorus of
the song, actually), but no-one could say who sings it. Well, it is easy to
find her albums in record stores, but there's no diffusion at all. I first
got my attention to her when I watched the Isle of Wight concert, broadcast
on TV a few years go, and where Joni, dressed in yellow, cried before
singing. Then, I borrowed in a library the Blue album, then the Court & Spark
album. And that was it : I loved both. Then, I borrowed Both Sides Now (2000)
and did not liked it very much (like you, Arlene, that voice!). Then I bought
Hejira, Mingus, The Hissing of the Summer Lawns, Clouds, etc. She had such an
influence !!
I bought "Travelogue" and the least that I can say is that it is one of the
best albums I have ever listened to. The rearrangements of the three Hejira
songs (Amelia, Hejira, Refuge of the Roads) are so beautiful ! And The Sire
of Sorrow, Chinese Cafe, Woodstock, etc. !!! No upbeat tempo here, but 22
great songs I can tell !
At nearly sixty, she cannot swing like she used to do before. She turns to
philarmonic jazz, and that's all natural considering her career.

Yours faithfully,

Laurent.

([EMAIL PROTECTED])