Yesterday at my writing group I mentioned Joni Mitchell to one of the members
of the group. This woman loves poetry and is a good writer. We started
talking about music and I asked her about Joni's writing-what she thought.
She told me she never really listened to her but disliked the few hits she
had. I told her about Joni's poetry and how well she wrote. She said,":You
sound just like this friend I used to teach with. he said she was the best
too." I told her I would copy some of her songs and she could read the lyrics
for herself. When our break was over I went over to the table and told
another member that we discussing Joni Mitchell and he said he had never
heard of her! He's about 60 or so and was a professor etc etc. My personal
experience is that most people know little or nothing about her work or
stopped listening after Court and Spark.

Maureen Walsh