Hi Mike,

According to just war theory, I think it would be regarded as a
pragmatic and correct decision, if you stayed away from a war you had
no chance of winning.  Because if a government or group of generals
went into a war they believed they couldn't win, they'd be risking
the lives of their soldiers for no gain.  This would be immoral, and
the war would therefore not be just.  For a war to be just, you have
to be fair to your own side, as well as the other side.

Sarah