Hi Sarah,
The following is what I've read in regards to points you raise:

1. Simons doesn't deny saying this, but says it may have been said in a
moment when 'he had too much to drink.' Former Pakistani foreign minister
Naif Naik was present at these meetings, and is the original source for the
quote, and also to the content of the meetings. The problem with saying the
meetings with the Taliban were primarily for the purpose of handing over bin
Laden, is contradicted by the fact that the Bush administration seemed to
have the policy that it couldn't care less about him - they dismantled the
many-layered military response Clinton had assembled to get bin Laden: took
away the Predator surveillance drone, the AC-130 gunships, the two
cruise-missile equipped subs, the special-ops troops in Uzbekistan.
According to Jane's Intelligence Weekly, the Bush administration also made
the 'political decision to ignore unprecedented intelligence' on bin Laden
supplied by Russia, intelligence so detailed that, for a time, a successful
hit would have been assured.
2. The accounts I've read are that Hussein requested an appointment with
Glaspie, announced his intentions and asked what the U.S. position would be.
She cabled home, and received the response you quote that she gave Hussein,
'We have no position.'
3. If the members of the PNAC all reside currently at the top of the Bush
administration, shouldn't an overlap of aims seem self-explanatory?
4. The need for a new 'Pearl Harbor' was first written of by Zbignew
Brezinzki; it's inclusion in the PNAC goals was noted by Chalmers Johnson in
an op-ed piece in last Sunday's LA Times. Johnson is a former foreign policy
insider, who much like Kevin Phillips, has gone apostate.
5. As for 'Americans having something to do with 9/11' - I look at facts
such as John Ashcroft, who had the USA-Patriot Act all ready to go when the
attack came; Ashcroft stopped flying commercial at the end of July due to a
'threat assessment.' Bush himself got out of town for the whole next month,
as did Cheney. It's fairly inexplicable that while CIA Director Tenet was
distraught with fear of an attack, was giving briefings, etc., that the Bush
administration had still not put a priority for the NSC to translate
transmissions from Al Qaeda and the Taliban - so when the messages came thru
that basically said 'Tomorrow's the big one!' they sat without attention.
And look at the FBI warnings that were not just ignored, but actively
subverted. The supervisor who cut off Cowley's investigation just got
promoted and an award, for pete's sake. If it's not all a matter of criminal
intent, that they let it happen on purpose, then it's certainly a matter of
criminal negligence. And as John O'Neill, the FBI counter-terrorism chief
who quit to die at the WTC said, 'It all goes back to the Saudi's, and while
protecting the Saudi's was important in every administration, it became much
more so with Bush.'
6. No link has been established between Hussein and 9/11. A link that has
been established is that the head of the Pakistani intelligence agency wired
Atta $100k, and the guy was in Washington visiting the CIA at the time of
the attacks. He was soon sacked though, so maybe he was an embarrassment. In
any event, we didn't attack Pakistan, nor Saudi Arabia, who funded Al Qaeda,
and probably continues to do so. But then, our CIA encouraged them to do all
that during the 80's, in the Reagan/Bush scheme to contain and subvert the
Soviet Union by surrounding it with radical Islam. Like I said, Blowback.

Hope this helps - Kent