Mike, thanks for posting your paper on deniability - it looks
incredibly interesting.

The whole issue of truth, deniability and the media goes to the heart
of how hard it is to reach rational conclusions about what's going
on, because it's well nigh impossible to get accurate (and complete)
information.  Politicians and the media seem to operate as though in
a courtroom, where argument and evidence matter, but not truth.  So
if we can't disprove x's statement, we have to live with it, and
you're so right to point out that the onus is now on the audience to
disprove things, rather than on the speaker to prove them.

During the last Gulf War, the British journalist Robert Fisk declined
to be part of the reporting pool in the Middle East, which was being
controlled in every way by the American military (where to stay,
where to go, what to look at, which tanks to get rides on etc - and
of course the journalists loved it, because it made them feel like
soldiers).  Fisk decided to wander off to check out some of the
things they were being told - wanting to see them for himself.  He
was "caught" and told to re-join the pool, and when he did, the
people who rounded on him the most were the other journalists!  Said
he was "risking spoiling things for everyone else."  So in this case
even the journalists were accepting that the notion of truth was
secondary to whether they got "the story" i.e. whether they got a
version of events from a source who would be considered reliable (the
military) by their news organizations.  Whether it was true or not,
could be left to the Fisks of this world to explore, but AFTER the
war please, so as to not screw things up for the network
correspondents.  And then of course when journalists like Fisk do
investigate events after the fact, they're the only ones to reach
their conclusions, and so are not believed because of that - but
they're the only ones to say these things because they're the only
ones who went looking for the truth, rather than just accepting "the
story" that was dished out to everyone else.

Sarah