[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 1/24/2003 3:01:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> writes:
>
> > From: Randy Remote <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Shakey, Neil & Joni
> >
> > I've been reading (devouring) "Shakey" , the recent biography
> > of Neil Young by Jimmy McDonough. Lots of Joni references.
> > Has anyone else read it? Has it been discussed on the list yet?
> >

> Yeah I just finished reading this -- like you devouring it.  What is it about
> this book that's so compelling?  There are many Joni references as you say.
> They appear to be pretty good friends and in many ways very similar.  But the
> book is like this discussion list -- that is -- the more you get to know
> about Joni the more you wish you didn't know.  By the end of Shakey I'm not
> liking Young very much at all. But his After The Goldrush remains (to me) a
> quintessential early 70's album.

Yes, Young comes off as a moody, impulsive person without much
regard for others. But really committed to the creative process more
than anything. Regarding After the Goldrush, the book says that
"Only Love Can Break Your Heart" was alledgedly written about
Joni & Nash's breakup.
No new light on "Stupid Girl", but I suspect it is about Carrie
Snodgrass, not Joni, as most of Zuma was the aftermath of
Youngs relationship with her.
RR