Bob wrote:

> Poor Joni. I don't think people are even getting a
> chance to hear T'log unless one of us plays it for
> them . . . and we don't all exactly love it anyway.
> I wonder if Joni will really climb into that box of
> paints now that T'log hasn't been a megahit with
> anyone, from the public to the critics to her own
> fans. And yet, if T'log had been released by any new
> artist, it would have been hailed as the CD of the
> 21st century. (Sure, that's kind of a stupid thing
> to say since T'log is a career retrospective and no
> *new* artist could do that, but you know what I
> mean.)

Andrew says:

Very interesting little post, Bob. My thoughts...

1. I think Joni's been living in a box of paints all
her life, she just decides to emerge with a record
once in a while, and the difference now will be less
and less musical outings. But that would have happened
anyway, not just because Travelogue has met with tepid
reception. She's winding down now.

2. I don't think Joni is surprised by lack of sales
anymore, or lack of air-play, or lack of attention
from anyone but the honourable honourers these days.
She's been used to this kind of treatment for years.
Having said that, she obviously gets irked by it now
and then, given some of her rants - she just isn't
surprised anymore. In fact, I'd wager she almost
expects her albums to be commercial flops now - at
least by industry standards. Cynical and jaded, maybe;
but we love her anyway!

3. I'm not sure if Travelogue would be hailed as the
record of the century no matter who released it. If
Celine Dion or Madonna or (shudder!) Britney Spears
decided to do an album like this (the idea is almost
laughable, considering their limited scope) I think it
would be met with the same kind of mixed feelings, if
not outright dismissal. I don't know if it's Joni so
much as it is the type of music on Travelogue. I
personally love most of Travelogue, but it seems to me
that unless it's got layered hip-hop beats and a
groovy baseline, no one will play it on the radio and,
therefore, its audience will be vastly limited.

-Andrew
http://mailplus.yahoo.com