That was the highest chart position the album got to in the UK. It was 25 in
the US. I'm never quite sure on how the charts are put together but I do
know that in the US airplay might go towards the score where here it is pure
sells. I'm not sure if that is only for US singles and not albums.  It's
weird that alot of Joni's music has done slightly better over here
considering she has always had a much bigger profile in the US. What's even
stranger is that Joni has had 5 top 10 albums which have either been top 10
in the US or in the UK but never both!

STEVE T

"Dan Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:-
> Your post suggests an issue: What does it mean for an album to be #20
(what
> an amazing achievment for DJRD in the UK; I'll bet it never reached that
> here - see post below)?  Is it the RATE at which they're selling (taken
> over what period), and do I understand correctly that sales only "count"
if
> they're from major chains like Tower.  What's up with that?
>
> At 09:22 PM 1/30/2003 +0000, you wrote:
> >Has anyone seen the Record Collector mag yet?
> >Right at the back they do a '25 years ago' thing and this month they
> >mentioned that DJRD got to number 20 in the UK this month 25 years ago.
> >There is also a photo of Joni holding a rose. I'm guessing it was used to
> >promote the album when it came out. She looks so pretty. One of the best
> >Joni photos I've seen!
> >
> >Stephen Toogood
>

> >At 12:45 PM 1/22/2003 -0500, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In the This Month is History section of jmdl, it
> >tells us that THOSL peaked at #4 on the U.S. charts,
> >and HEJIRA peaked at #13. That's amazing, huh?
> >With no hits on the radio? Wow.
>

> I had previously suggested that Hejira was the last album that the general
> public bought; a new theory is that DJRD sold poorly because it was a
> double album.  Lots of double albums did/do poorly (the White album,
> T'log); I believe there is too much new material to digest properly - It's
> not the right "chunk" of new material.

Stephen Toogood

"The snow falls like bolts of lace"