In a message dated 2/3/03 11:55:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Well, Fred, the fact is I've always liked tuba music. The more tubas the
> merrier, as far as I'm concerned. Tubas always sound happy or at least
> funny
> to me.

Murphy, I've known you for 3 years now, and I didn't know we had so much in
common.  I *love* the tuba too!  We'll just have to do a duet at Jonifest
this year.
Not many people know that I play the tuba professionally. I've been a member
of the
I.T.E.A (International Tuba-Euphonium Association) for quite some time now.

There's so much more to the tuba than "oom pah pah, oom pah pah", and us
tubists get such a bad rap.

My main instrument is the Boosey and Hawkes Eb Tuba, but I also play on both
a Miraphone CC Tuba and latterly on a B&S CC Perantucci CC Tuba, which I love
to play most of all, especially in the big stuff. Prokofiev, Mahler, Wagner
etc.

My favorite artists are:
Zachariah Spellman
Joseph D. Terwilliger, Ph.D
Ingvar Hdllerstehl

For anyone insterested in learning to play the tuba, I must emphasize
CLEANLINESS, CLEANLINESS, CLEANLINESS!!!
In order to minimize sickness and infection, mouthpieces should be cleaned
daily. Check that there are no nicks in the rim. These not only harbor
bacteria but can also physically damage the player's lips. Check that the
mouthpiece shank is round and fits firmly into the mouthpiece receiver on the
tuba. This is my tip for the day.

As for Joni songs on the tuba, I do a mean "Jungle Line", and I'm working on
"Ray's Dad's Cadillac"

One other thing which comes in handy when you play the tuba.

 When you use a public campground, placing a TUBA on your picnic table will
keep the campsites on either side of you vacant. :~)

Jimmy