C'mon, Kent.  Everyone *KNOWS* that CD players all sound alike. They're all
perfect and you know it.  Now stop it; you'll scare the children.  Join the
herd and stop talking nonsense!

Don't mind me.  I'm just waxing sarcastic.  I found a $50 CD portable by
Panasonic that beats my 5 disc Sony.  That's impossible I know.  I think
I'll have to return it cause I can't trust my own ears.  I hope you don't
mind if I send a copy of your post to some friends: Jay (who's an
audiophile), and Catherine & Paz (who aren't).  See, Catherine?  I'm not the
only one.

Lama
who went on a vinyl binge:
k.d. lang,
Ella in front of the Duke's band: 8 LP sides!!
a John Prine white label promo without a jacket,
early Sinatra LP in mono on Columbia (has a reminder to replace that metal
needle every 20 hrs)
extended mix of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" on a 45rpm 12" disc
3 Bill Cosby titles
Emmylou Harris
3 record set of Woody Herman and the Thundering Herd(s) (for Dad)
The Preservation Hall Jazz Band with Sweet Emma (stereo, 1964 Yeah, baby!)
6-side boot of Petty and the Heartbreakers live

and the coup of the month: Tori Amos' "Under the Pink" on brand new vinyl:
$8.98 !

There's more but you get the point.  Eclecticism lives on the jmdl.  In the
depths of winter, I'm high on life!

Kent Southard said he got a new CD player,
>> - the NAD 571t has the HDCD feature, and as it's currently selling at
half price, $400, I got one. And the difference is truly extraordinary, my
system sounds like I just spent thousands rather than a few hundred.
Clearer, richer, punchier, more detailed than you can believe. My previous
CD player (also NAD) in comparison made the music seem like a paint by
numbers picture with most of the canvas left white.