The discussion on the relative merits of vinyl and CD prompted me to dig
out my
vinyl copy of STAS (bought in 1968 for $3.49). I hadn't listened to it
in 12 years
since I bought the CD. I have always been annoyed at the tape hiss left
on the CD
("Why couldn't they have done a better mastering job!" etc. etc.) but
compared to
vinyl the CD wins hands down, much clearer guitar, better highs.

  Which brings me to another subject. Another poster mentioned a loss of
reverb
on CDs. In my experience transferring vinyl or tape to CD, overuse of
the de-noiser
will kill reverb. I've used this side-effect successfully on
audience-recorded bootlegs
where there is too much "room sound" but it may explain why they left
some hiss
on STAS.
  Does anyone know of a better re-master of STAS?    I love that album.

Speaking of bootlegs, most of the CDs I have are pretty awful soundwise.

Probably copies of copies of copies etc. We need to locate the original
vinyl or
good quality tapes to make good master CDs. If anyone in  Eastern
Ontario
has any Joni bootlegs and wants them on CD, contact me. I would send
copies
to the archive in SC

Doug
Merrickville Ont.