I saw part of that Jubilee concert too the other night -- did not hear Brian
Wilson perform, but saw him at the finale looking uncomfortable and sort of
out of it -- which is just the way he looks now.

I had seen him perform about a year ago on a bill with Paul Simon. He was
good, but emphasized all the obvious Beach Boys hits without digging too
deep into the BB catalog or his own solo work. (He did do Surf's Up at
least; one of the most brilliant songs ever.) It was worth it to see a
legend who I never thought would perform again. And though it is kinda sad
to see him so, I don't know what the right word is -- oblivious? At least
he's out there; and I give him a lot of credit for that. He's responsible
for so much great work -- (the intro to California Girls still gives me
goosebumps.)

The concert also made me think of something while watching Joe Cocker do
With A Little Help From My Friends. I'm sure this has been discussed here
before, but...it made me consider the cover versions of songs that totally
redefined the originals; almost eclipsing them. I think Cocker's arrangement
of the Beatles tune certainly did that. As well as Hendrix's All Along the
Watchtower. Maybe CSNY's Woodstock fits this category, too. I've been trying
to think of more...any other thoughts out there?

Bruce