In a message dated 2/8/2003 1:25:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Books about or by Joni - are any outstanding "Must Haves ??"

Freddy, here's a re-posting from November 28th, 2002
***************************
Lama's annual overview
=========================
This isn't exhaustive but someone may want to stick this up on the
refrigerator or something.........

=========================
Books
=========================
"Shadows and Light: Joni Mitchell The Definitive Biography", available from
http://www.amazon.co.uk

"voices: The Work of Joni Mitchell", available from
http://www.mendel.ca/shop/  They also have a really cool poster from the
exhibit that they're practically giving away.

"Joni Mitchell: The Complete Poems and Lyrics", doesn't have any poems in it
but it DOES slavishly reproduced one typo after another from the album's
printed lyrics.  Sample lyric: "Buoy winds pushed them face down in the
snow."  If you still want it, it's available from
http://www.amazon.com

How come all of these books so far have subtitles?  Hmmmm.

Maybe you wondered what she meant in the liner notes of 'The Hissing Of
Summer Lawns' when she wrote, "This record is a total work conceived
graphically, musically, lyrically and accidentally- as a whole. <edited for
simplicity> It's not my intention to unravel  that mystery for anyone but
rather to offer some additional clues."  Here's another BIG HINT: "National
Geographic Magazine", February 1975, beginning on page 270.

"Architectural Digest", July/August 1976.  Beginning on page 72, there are
six pages of pictures and text from the Bel Air home of a pretty good
singer-songwriter.  Not bad.  Especially for a girl.  [I'm not serious]

"downbeat magazine"
August 9th, 1979  This is the issue (that I don't have yet!) in which
Leonard Feather soundly praises "Mingus".  Mister Feather figured that
"Mingus" deserved 5 stars out of a possible 5 stars.  [Class, don't be
surprised if you see this material again very soon.]  Will somebody PLEASE
give Joni a copy of this the next time they see her dining alfresco?  Let's
review what Mister Feather said: *****.  Five stars.  5.  1-2-3-4-5.  Okay?
How can I buy one of these back issues?

=========================
Videos
=========================
"Painting With Words and Music", available on VHS Hi-Fi and DVD from
http://www.amazon.com

"Shadows and Light", (1980) in its unedited edition (including the skating
video) available on region-free DVD from a guy in Hong Kong who lists
auctions on
www.ebay.com

"Come In From The Cold" video 45 minutes, 1991

"Refuge Of The Roads" about 55 minutes, 1980

=========================
Audio
=========================
8-Track: out of print but available on www.ebay.com

Cassette: out of print but available on  www.ebay.com

CD: There are 22 now if you count 'hits' and 'misses' and don't count the
singles or remixes.  Every last one of them is currently available brand new
in the USA.  This is a pretty nice situation so the next time Joni feels
under appreciated, remind her that her *ENTIRE* catalog has not been
cut-out.  Here are the official releases:

Song To A Seagull
Clouds
Ladies of the Canyon
Blue
For The Roses
Court and Spark
Miles Of Aisles
The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
Hejira
Don Juan's Reckless Daughter
Mingus
Shadows and Light
Wild Things Run Fast
Dog Eat Dog
Chalk Mark In A Rainstorm
Night Ride Home
Turbulent Indigo
hits
misses
Taming The Tiger
Both Sides Now
Travelogue

http://jonimitchell.com/jonidiscography.html

The covers and release dates are:
http://www.jmdl.com/lyrics/

=========================
High Res Audio
=========================
CDs in the HDCD editions:  If I recall, everything through "hits" and
"misses" has been re-issued using the HDCD compression scheme.  I don't know
anyone who can decode them correctly but at least they used great equipment
when they mastered them.

DVD-Audio: This format, which will probably die a grisly death like the
Elcaset, now offers one Joni title: "Both Sides Now".  No other titles are
available as far as I know of.

LPs: You need a level shelf, clean records, and hideously expensive
equipment, but the white-label promo editions and Japanese pressings (with
"Obi") of the piano-driven and unproduced records breathe more like a person
on an acoustic instrument, in my admittedly pompous opinion.  (Obligatory:
"This vain man wishes to seem wise.")

I have a MFSL 1/2 speed mastered version of "Court and Spark" but by then
the layers of production hampered the clarity.  I think there are some
Quinex II pressings of "Wild Things Run Fast" but my regular copy is
exceptional anyway.

Two review questions:
1.  Who loves you guys?

2.  In his review for the Jazz world's "Downbeat Magazine", how many stars,
out of 5 possible, did Leonard Feather give the "MINGUS" album?

Class?