Gees, McKay!  You want me to go through the entire canon of lyrics with ya?
You don't believe "He heard her, off to starboard?"  OKAY!

You're on a ship in Lake Superior.  Let's say there's a storm and you're
about 15 miles from White Fish Bay, standing in the middle of the boat,
facing the front, the bow.  The hull is pitching and yawning as the boat
rolls from side to side in the waves.  It's dusk, and foggy.  The starboard
rail is the boat's outside edge on your right.

Over the wind and the rain and the groaning, twisting rigging you shout,
"WHERE'S THE EDMUND FITZGERALD?  DID THE CAPTAIN SEE HER?"

I might holler back, "NO, BUT HE HEARD HER PLAINLY ENOUGH, OFF TO STARBOARD,
BUCKLING AND WHIMPERING AS SHE WENT DOWN!"

It's not so hard to fathom.  See?  It's a pun.  "Fathom"!  Get it?  It's a
nautical joke!

Lama,
who's apparently doomed to argue with this woman every day of the new
millennium.  Sheesh!  Put me at the top of your danger list <You know the
rest>