That question has resulted in much heated discussion at various times on
the RT list. Some people think it's Mark Knoepfler, and then other
people disagree, and then the general consensus usually becomes that
it's a composite character, as many of RT's "characters" are. RT's not a
very autobiographical songwriter, so that makes sense to me.

Wickedly to the point song, though, isn't it?  In concert, especially,
he can get so worked up about it, it's hard to believe he doesn't have a
particular person and particular event in mind. RT, like Joni, never
says who any of his songs are about.

Debra Shea