After posting about the state of the music getting air-play these days, and
the strength and beauty of Joni's lyrics, I thought it would be interesting to
see some examples of artists who we think "should" be more widely known.  I've
got to know artists here that I would never have otherwise known about, for
example, Jonatha Brooke, Willy Porter, Ani Difranco (although those last two
might be the influence of one particular lister)!

So who are some "unknown" artists, that we should know about?  I'll start the
ball rolling, by putting in a big plug for Dave Dobbyn, a NZ
singer-songwriter.  He's very well known here, and has had a number of "hits"
but I think he deserves a much wider audience.

Some of my favourite Dave Dobbyn lyrics include:

>From "Language":  When my tongue won't move, you have it tied with your
heartstrings

>From "Just Add Water": You're walking in unarmed you know you're bound to
fail, where the price of freedom is to want for nothing more

>From "Beside You":  This is for you standing up to a bone-chilling wind, this
is for the failures you collected from my sin, this is for your lonesome tears
I never dried, this is for you hanging in in the hope that it never dies

Another of my favourite NZ artists is Shona Laing, but there are too many good
lyrics to choose from!

Hell
"To have great poets, there must be great
  audiences too." - Walt Whitman

Hell's Home Page - NEW & IMPROVED!
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~hell/index.html