Hell wrote:

"I was thinking the other day about Joni's lyrics, and how she uses phrases
or words that probably wouldn't occur to other artists."

Yes, I think about this alot. It's one of great joys of Joni. The unexpected
word or phrase or rhyme.

Like in Otis & Marlena:

"Like it's her opera box
All those Pagliacci summer frocks"

Love that rhyme!

Or, also in O&M: "The golden dive, the fatted flake". Now, I have no idea
what 'fatted flake' really means. But it somehow beautifully conveys the
self-indulgent vanity being discussed. And it is, of course, also an example
of Joni's love of alliteration, of which, most of the time, she is a master
(once in a while it gets the better of her though).

A great example of her alliterative skill is also in O&M. Watch the p and b:

"Always the grand Parades of cellulite
Jiggling to her golden Pools
Through flock and cuPid colonnades
They jiggle into surgery
HoPefully Beneath the Blade"

The p's drive the lines until the softer p in hopefully, when the b's take
over.

And she is not at all a show-off with her language. I love the opening to
Paprika Plains for its plain speaking so artfully put together that you can
see, hear and smell the scene:

"It fell from midnight skies
It drummed on the galvanized
In the washroom women tracked the rain
Up to the makeup mirror
Liquid soap and grass
And Jungle Gardenia crash
On Pine-Sol and beer"

I mean...skies and galvanized! Love that!

Has she ever discussed the nuts and bolts of her lyric writing? It seems to
me that for this kind of precision she must go through many re-writes. It is
too carefully constructed to just 'happen' in one take.

Bruce