The director also based McDormand's character on Carly Simon, according to an article
in Premiere magazine about the movie, though she is meant to be a modern-day Mrs.
Robinson, seducing young men and playing the melted down ice queen.

-Andrew

 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:Wally and I got together again yesterday and wouldn't ya know
it? We found
another Joni mention out there.

While reading InNewsWeekly, a local Boston rag, we came across a review of a
movie called "Laurel Canyon," by "openly queer writer/director" Lisa
Cholodenko, whose previous feature film was "High Art." (NOTE: I hate the
term *openly queer* or *openly gay* as much as I can't stand
*self-confessed*. Although the terms may have had a place in journalism a
couple of decades ago, to write or say *openly queer* or *openly gay* seems
dated now. How about *queer* or *gay* if the issue needs to be brought up in
a description of a person? Then, when referring to people who aren't open in
their sexuality, use adjectives like *alledged* or *closeted* or don't
mention their sexual preferences at all. But I digress . . . )

Anyway, the movie has some big names attached, such as Frances McDormand,
Kate Beckensale, and Christian Bale ("American Psycho" and Gloria Steinem's
stepson, but I digress again.) I tried to find a link to the review at the
paper's Web site, but there isn't one. Here's a sentence from the last
paragraph of the article, which mentions Joni:

"Incidentally, the writer/director admits to formulating "Laurel Canyon"
whilst listening to Joni Mitchell's "Ladies of the Canyon" album."

--Bob