You know, The first time I heard this cover I thought, "Oh god, what a piece of shit". I have listened to it over again more times and still think it is not as great as what others have been saying about it. Maybe it is that the last MAjor label acts to incorporate or to cover Joni has been with this song. And I just feel it is time for it to end. Big Yellow Taxi is such a great song but she has so many songs just as great that for some reason, have been covered but, don't reach the charts as much as this one. I guess on a positive note that this says something great about the power of song. Maybe it is that the counting crows never titilated me that way they do to some people. Their first album was good, but not many of their songs after that have excited me the way the first one did.
Blair

NP: Impressions, John Coltrane

I don't know if this is true or not, but I picked it up off the Counting Crows discussion forum. By the way, the Crows' cover of BYT continues to climb the charts and is now charting in three American radio formats and is a hit in the UK, NZ and Australia.

Bryan

I asked him if he'd had feedback from Joni on his version of BYT, and he said she was there at the time they were recording it; she was in the next studio recording something, and someone brought her in to listen, (and he was embarassed), and she liked it. So CC's BYT has Joni's stamp of approval, if any hard-core Joni fans were struggling with the concept....