That tough grader Bob Muller recently listed his grades for DED. See below.

Well, my initial grade for DED went as follows: I bought the record when it
came out. I listened to it proabably one or two dozen times. I lost it. I
forgot about it. I bought it again in 2001, thinking I had never heard it and
looking forward to a new Joni record. Surprise ! So, I guess I was the hard
grader then. However, my new marks (in bold, next to Bob M's):

Good Friends (An OK pop song) C+   C+ (pop song - as in radio play ? both
times ?)
Fiction F (Much too busy, lyrically) B (More like Borderline than I suspect
Bob M  gives it credit for. Many thoughts. Few words per thought)
The Three Great Stimulants (solid Joni, literate & pensive) A-  A-  (Proud of
how she stuck with it in that concert - live aid ?)
Tax Free (Preachy rhetorical lyrics, anti-melodic) F C+ (A schizophrenic
song, with some cutting satire - see below)
Smokin' (Empty, Try Another) (A novelty throwawy, coulda been a contender and
some funky bass work) C- C+
Dog Eat Dog (Great song, weak production)A  B (I agree with most of the
sentiments, but she crosses the line when she gets too specific)
Shiny Toys (Good production (for what it was), weak song)D A (I see a pattern
here with Dancin Clowns - which I give a B+)
Ethiopia (Beautiful and so sad) A A
Impossible Dreamer (ditto but a bit more hopeful) A B- (Not exactly The Last
Time I Saw Richard)
Lucky Girl (another OK pop song) A  Better than OK. Much better. Should have
closed WTRF.

I suspect that Bob M and I are quite close for the most part. I have really
not downgraded the songs here for the generally weak production, or my grades
might be a bit lower. But I agree there are songs of quality on this record.

On the topic of politics, in Tax Free,  Joni goes after what I see as
extremists - the evangelists and the devil bands. Personally, I am revulsed
by the former, and only turned off by the latter. But the problem is that the
evangelists are probably more main stream than I am willing to acknowledge,
and in attacking them outright, Joni crosses the line that I referred to
earlier.

The irony in

"God's hired hands and the devil bands
Packing the same grandstands...

Raising a screaming guitar
Or a bible in the air

God's hired hands and the devil bands
Oh come let us adore - ME !

is good art. But "You get witch hunts and wars, when church and state hold
hands" crosses the line again. First, we will not elect Pat Robertson
president. Too many people know this blatant truth - it is cloddy and preachy
to hit us over the head with this. Also, the warning to stay off of intimate
church/state relationships is heavy handed - I suspect that the definition of
"holding hands" is one Joni is suggesting we had crossed at that point - I
would disagree. The problem, in any event, lies in Iran, and Egypt, and
Ireland, and formerly Afghanistan, and Saudi Arabia, and Israel, and to a
lesser extent, in Italy. Finally, the phrase "How can he speak for the Prince
of Peace, When he's hawk-right-militant" crosses the line artistically, even
if I agree with her, for the subject might deny both assertions, if pressed.
That is, he might deny that he is HRM, and might assert that he does not
speak for Jesus in that area (like the Pope is not infallible except in areas
of faith and morals, or whatever, and yes, i know she was not talking about
the Pope(s), who are dove left pacifist). The broader hypocracy extends to
anyone who calls himself a Christian, in that sense. For example, to defend
oneself rather than turn the other cheek runs counter to Jesus's teachings.
Can one admire Jesus's teachings without embracing them all ?

And to Joni, if one wants to live in peace, but others terrorize you and your
group, are you Hawk right militant to treat them as evil, for denying you
access to peace and your love of peace, and forcing you to choose between
taking it lying down or calling up arms to defend - and even to preempt
further attacks? The artists gives both looks at complex problems, rather
than succumbing to her instinct / bias ,  when framing her art. Or, her art
is less meritorious. IMO, of course. Usually, Joni gets it right.

I believe that those who seek wealth and power and self aggrandizement will
never own the satisfaction of good work, good character and inner peace. By
and large, they are paupers. We ought to pity them, not ourselves. IMO

Bobsart