In a message dated 3/11/2003 5:00:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Looks as if he did make his mistakes although he has stated he
> regrets his actions fully.  I do believe I admire him more now than before
> for it seems he has learned from his mistakes and I can ask no more than
> that.  As someone who was raised to have many of those same feelings, which
> I have worked to dispel and throw away, I can see how he could have been
> caught up in that game.  If  all are judged by every action they have every
> taken (and discarded because of them), then who does that
> leave?  Not many,
> if any.
>
> mack

I'm glad he regrets his actions, but I'll stop short of being an apologist for him.
Many of them were egregious and unforgivable.  The difference between his dispelled
"feelings" and those of others who may have harbored similar rascist beliefs is that
he acted on his under the color of authority as a lawmaker, which could adversely
affect the lives millions of innocents in perpetuity, possibly.

In addition to being a member and recruiter for the Ku Klux Klan in his late 20's, he
voted against confirmation of Thurgood Marshall for Supreme Court Justice as a
senator.  He was adamently opposed to civil rights legislation to the extent that he
filibustered against the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the legal cornerstone of the Civil
Rights Movement (along with the Supreme Court's Brown v. Board of Education decision
in 1954)for 14 hours.

On the other hand, he voted not to convict President Clinton during the Senate phase
of the impeachment hearings, voted against Clarence Thomas' confirmation to the
Supreme Court, and he's spoken out against this damnable Iraq war, so he's not *all*
bad.  Still, for President?  I hope not ever.

-Julius