> the new york times had three of its movie critics weighing in with their
> oscar predictions last week.  each of them had to pick a 'will win',
> 'should win', and 'should've been a contender' and two of three picked
> 'talk to her' in that third category.  certainly would have been the
> best of the year if they'd asked me.  and the movie really should have
> been nominated

The omission of Pedro Almodovar's HABLE CON ELLA (TALK TO HER) in the Best
Foreign Language derby of the Oscar was due to Spain's decision to send a
different entry. Spain chose another film (something with a title about
Mondays and Sun) as its entry, leaving the much heralded Almodovar film
out of the running. But I am glad just the same that Almodovar was
nominated for the Best Director even if his inclusion in the top five was
probably the reason why Peter Jackson was edged out. And now, Spain's
entry to the Oscar was not among those in the top five nominee. Sad story.

> and in 'best director' (where almodsvar IS nominated) two of three
> picked him for 'should'.  but they all three picked scorsese to win.

Personally I would want Roman Polanski to win, with or without the fanned
controversy of his return to the US of A and his presence in the Oscar
ceremony. THE PIANIST is a beautiful film that is at times, too painful to
watch. And in Adrien Brody, a star is born. I am actually also impressed
with what Stephen Daldry did in THE HOURS (and its my personal favorite
among the Best Picture nominees, edging out THE PIANIST by a hairstrand),
and if he wins, I will not grouch. But I think the Academy may feel that
Martin Scorsese should get it. And while I agree that this great director
be given the accolade due him, I think it would be more apt in films like
GOODFELLAS and ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE rather than GANGS OF NEW
YORK. But GANGS OF NEW YORK has the epic sweep to justify its win.
Besides, with a Daniel Day-Lewis attached to the project, he certainly
added class to the proceedings.

The Oscar does not really always award the statuette to the best, but the
careers of winners usually take a more robust form after their win (though
not always true, look at Mira Sorvino).

 'y tu mama tambien' should have had more chances to
> win

Mexico sent EL CRIMEN DEL PADRE AMARO as their entry this year and it was
shortlisted as the top five nominees in the Oscar race. But I agree with
Patrick that between the two films, I would root for Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN
than EL CRIMEN DEL PADRE AMARO. Y TU MAMA TAMBIEN has a timelessness about
it (despite minor contrivances in the film) and I am sure it will be
talked about many many years after.

Joseph in Manila

np:  Anonymous 4 "The Lily and the Lamb"