>Sting seems to be one of the few artists who have blended world music
themes and social concern.(Paul Simon,too) later,mark>
Bono is doing his part. Dave Stewart (of Eurythmics) is in the midst of organizing a
peace concert; he and Annie Lennox also released an album in '99 called "Peace" and
helped promote Amnesty International on their tour. They're out there but they are far
fewer than they used to be.
And I've often asked myself why my generation of artists (age 25 or so) seems more
concerned about image, vanity and being famous than saying anything really relevant. I
like Rufus Wainright. Alanis has some interesting things to say - just wish she'd say
it better. But of the guys and dolls my age, who happen to be on the music scene and
on a platform of fame and fortune, are shiny, plastic people with vacuous brain
cavities. For the older crowd, believe me when I tell you that a lot of us younger
folks have noticed the decline in music, particuarly where its relevance to culture
and social intrigue is concerned.
-Andrew