I listened to nearly all 12 hours over the radio and was left with the same
impression I had after the TNT tribute.  Many of the performers sounded in
over their heads.  Was that second banshee-wailing cover of Jericho somehow
more listenable if witnessed live?  Because over the radio feed, it was truly
horrifying.  A handful of great renditions, though, particularly Mingus Big
Band.

I noticed that operatic voice worked well for the Song to a Seagull
selections, but sounded comical on Hejira and  reminded me of the sketch on
Saturday Night Live where the uncool music teachers perform contemporary
rock; singing and over enunciating.

I loved the performer who did Passion Play!  She was right on the mark!  The
collage of car themed tunes at the beginning was nice, but again the featured
performer's studied style of singing strikes me as off.  I much preferred the
background singer, who was featured on a swinging verse of You Dream Flat
Tires.  Also enjoyed the jazz takes on Ethiopia and Tax Free!

Urge For Going sounded unrehearsed.

Kudos to the gorgeous piano playing on Down to You!

Hooray for the Roches!

In all, though, hearing others perform these works makes me appreciate Joni's
talent even more.  Her singing is just dead on all the time, effortless and
comfortable.  I was really surprised and pleased at Sue Graham Mingus'
presentation.  I somehow had the idea that she wasn't a big Joni fan.
Wish I could have been there in person, because it is inspiring to know that
Joni's recognition is growing.  And any tribute to Joni is better than no
tribute at all.

Ken