In a message dated 3/24/2003 6:47:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I'm not sure about this, but I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that Joni
>
> was approached directly by Allison Anders to write a song for the film;
> then
> I recall something about Joni not being able to come up with anything
> suitable, until her cat disappeared and she was inspired to write Man From
> Mars.  I'm by no means certain of this, and I'm sure someone will know for
> sure...

Yes, this is the truth-o fact-o. Joni was approached because of Klein's
involvement in the film; Joni at first said no, because all she had in her
was songs about how bad the music business was. Then her cat split, and the
rest is history.

Both Joni's original piano version, and Chaka Khan's version are much nicer
than the one on TTT, although that one is pretty nice too!

Bob

NP: "War Is A Science" from Pippin Soundtrack