Bob wrote:

> The reason I asked Alison about bluegrass-type music is that I thought there
>
> might be some Civil War era anti-war songs I don't know about. The only WWI
>
> and WWII songs I could think of were all pretty much pro-war, or at least
> about missing home or a soldier . . . but I am sure there's at least one
> anti-war song for every war.

I hope Ali comes up with something.  I did some searches and couldn't come up
with any anti civil war songs. They were more one sided, north against the
south, slavery vs. anti slavery type songs.  As for WWI and WWII anti war
songs, the only thing I found was a song called "I Didn't Raise My Boy to Be
a Soldier"

The Chorus :

bI didnbt raise my boy to be a soldier,
I brought him up to be my pride and joy,
Who dares to place a musket on his shoulder,
To shoot some other motherbs darling boy?
Let nations arbitrate their future troubles,
Itbs time to lay the sword and gun away,
Therebd be no war today,
If motherbs all would say,
bI didnbt raise my boy to be a soldier.b

I've been listening to a double CD, which has been in my car for the past
several months.  It's called "Those Were Our Songs, Music of WWII".  Like you
say Bob, most of the songs are pro-war, or just silly jingles to keep the
people of the 40's in better spirits.  I must admit, I love all of these
songs.........they remind me of my Dad who was in WWII.  Many are catchy,
mindless tunes, but I was really thinking about one song as it played today
"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" by Kay Kyser and His Orchestra.  I
like singing this song, but I thought *HOW AWFUL*.

Anyway, I'm *trying* to stick to a song type post, and not my political
views.  I'm just sad that one of our hometown boys is one of the first U.S.
casualties. I'm sad about all the casualties (U.S., UK, or Iraq).

Jimmy