My Aunt presented this Album to me in 68 to me when she learned from my mom I
had Clouds on my shelf and listened to it daily after School.
I knew right off IHAK was about Chuck "of an Actor who fears the laughter's
sting." He was a player on Willie's stage in Branford, Ontario. And Detroit's
many citizen's all drove around in rusty Fairlane's.
NITH is a Mama's&Papa's influenced wanna be a popfolk B side song
Marcie is a vocal master piece, I think Chuck taught Joni how to add
transfixing emotion's in Nathan La Franeer. The songs "down to the Seaside"
are truly joni's adventure as an opening blood red Tulip. Many have our own
Sisotowbell Lane life.
 I had a summerbarefootkissmyfirstgirl place
skin white by skin golden seen skinny dipping in the full moon
blonde hair falling across Irish lassies freckles
salty lemon tequila kisses lapping with the rhythm of the waves.
oops sorry
its so easy to fall back to poetry as I listen to Pirates of Penance
especially when there is two Joni's singing this song.
I think the nimble fingers on Song to the Seagull could be turned into a
concerto by say Christopher Parkening.
When I was a teen I spent so many hours tacking across the waves contained in
the Holy Grail Bay. The low notes of her guitar in Cactus Tree were the loose
lines on the masts of my boat. I was that man who was out sailing in the
decade of young dreams.
Brian Symes