In a message dated 4/4/2003 10:57:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I don't see how releasing an album of classic American standards
> qualifies as a 'collection of ingenue roles' just because two of her
> early songs happened to be among them.

Really & truly it wasn't HER songs on BSN that I was referring to. Certainly
the title track is NOT ingenue; Joni has said repeatedly that it takes a
voice of experience to properly present it.

On the other hand - songs like "You're My Thrill", "At Last" (at last, my
love has come along, my lonely days are over, and life is like a happy song),
"Answer Me My Love", seem to DEFINITELY be ingenue songs. And you know there
may be more...love songs with a girlish sensibility to them.

Now, don't get me wrong - I have NO problem with Joni singing ingenue songs.
My point was that she said she didn't want to sing her earlier songs because
they were ingenue roles, and then sings somebody else's ingenue songs. So it
doesn't make sense to me. I think that closer to the truth is what Joni says
about always looking FORWARD and not behind. I think with T'log she enjoyed
singing with the orchestra, and wanted to re-present some her own material in
that format.

OK, so my comment about T'log being Joni juking herself was perhaps not a
valid one. It got YOU to post, so I'm still glad I said it! :~)

> I think Joni is allowed to re-tool early work.  She has a different
> perspective and more years of life experience to bring to those songs
> and if you listen closely, it really does enhance them.

And just to clarify, I totally agree. I just don't think it's consistent with
what she's said, that's all. Minor stuff.

Bob

NP: Ani, "Hurricane" (GREAT Dylan cover)