Bob Muller replied:

> On the other hand - songs like "You're My Thrill", "At Last" (at last, my
> love has come along, my lonely days are over, and life is like a happy
> song),
> "Answer Me My Love", seem to DEFINITELY be ingenue songs. And you know
> there
> may be more...love songs with a girlish sensibility to them.

WOA ! I may be onto something here. I think this whole thing may be primarily
a semantic difference.

The difference in perspective seems to me to be largely between the
protagonist's role in the song, and the artfulness of the song itself.

In the early stages of love (which, of course, Joni was trying to capture
with the first two songs mentioned above), and even in some of the more
trying times (where one's broken self-confidence can reduce a person to
rubble, as in Answer Me), most of us act and feel like youths, even well
beyond what would normally be regarded as our "ingenue" years (is there a
male counterpart to that word ?). Trying to capture that vulnerability, which
is most often but not exclusively found in the realm of youth's innocence,
transcends the general sense of "ingenue" for me.

On the other hand, I think that lines like "I'd like to buy you everything, a
wooden bird with painted wings, a window full of colored rings, in Morning
Morgantown" have both the emotional and artistic (lyrically speaking)
substance of an ingenue. Like the NY Times reviewer of the Wall to Wall event
said, some of Joni's lines would be viewed as terribly precious if they came
from a lesser person. That said, Joni played the quintessential ingenue into
her late 20's. I mean, at least through 1972 (she was 26 for the Pink Dress
concert, and 27 for the JT BBC concert). Since I love Morning Morgantown as a
song, perhaps I should pick on the Beatles (about whom I was also fanatical
before Joni), and their "She Loves You, yeah yeah yeah,, you think you lost
your love I saw her yesterday It's you she's thinking of, and she told me
what to say, She says she loves you"  Or "I wanna Hold your hand", both of
which were even more precious and immature than Morning Morgantown.

Which brings me to the other aspect. When Joni was referring to her early
work as being ingenue work, I believe that she was referring to the innocence
of the art itself, as well as to its content. Some (not all) of the songs
were simpler (in their structure musically, and in their substance
poetically) than her later work, and she feels that they were less evolved
artistically because she had not yet fully developed her palette. So, she
felt the irony of being admired partly because people could grasp her early
songs better (and partly because she herself milked the part of the ingenue
in presenting them ?) (and in part because people like to stay in or revisist
the innocence of their youth ?), while her later work, which was higher art
and had shed its ingenue aspects in substance and presentation, was not as
well received (at least, initially).

The songs you cite are surely not the work of ingenue composers and lyricists
(one possible reason why some of us - myself included - were a bit puzzled by
your classification). Particularly so musically. And, one could argue that
even though the subject is infatuation, there is a difference - perhaps even
a disconnect - between infatuation and the ingenue. (Sort of like ingenue
belongs in a subset of the realm of infatuation - all ingenues get
infatuated, but not all who get infatuated are ingenues).

An interesting puzzle for me is why Joni's two contributions to this record
(and who could argue with these choices ?) seem to have come from her
"ingenue period". Both Sides now is a very simple work, musically - but "all
the sparks connected", as Crosby said. And while it could be argued that Blue
as an album marked the beginning of Joni's 'loss of innocence' , A Case of
You (for all of its virtuosity) was still firmly entrenched in that era.
Perhaps, ultimately, the essence of art lies not its technical merit, but in
the capturing of those things that belong to our lives and our spirit in the
barest, the most distilled, the purest form. Perhaps that's why Joni chose
The Circle Game to close Travelogue.

Bobsart