On 11/07/2008 20:43, mariner wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> There is one feature I am really missing in JOSM. It's the ability to
> donwload the data of OSM near a gpx track.
>
> I would like to place a feature request here on the list.

You can fill in a request in the Trac system, here:
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/newticket

> It would be great to get only the data from JOSM, which is really
> important. This is mostly beside a track. Maybe 100 meters on each side
> around the logpoints. Would something like this be possible? I would
> like to help, but have no idea where to start...

I can see how this might be useful if you had a long ribbon of a track.

I don't think it would be particularly hard to repeatedly download an
area centred on (a well chosen subset of) the points on a track. They'd
be squares, not circles, around a point, and you'd always get complete
ways so some will be go outside the box, but it would essentially do
what you want.

However, this would mean making many calls on the server instead of just
one, albeit for small areas each time.

Therefore I think it would probably be very slow to download, for no
fault of JOSM.

You can always do something approximating this manually: zoom in to the
start of your track with the screen showing 100m or so on either side.
Download. Move the viewed area along the track a b it and download
again, and so on. Tedious for a really long track perhaps, but will do
the job.

David