On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Christoph Eckert wrote:

http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/1088

Checked in a fix for this. Not closing yet, as some stuff to do (mainly
adding icons :-).

When you add an item like this now

<item name="Streets" de:name="Straßen" icon="presets/motorway.png"></item>

then it will be displayed accordingly (current SVN)

The de:name is only required as long as translation is not updated.

I didn't understand it yet. I have:

        <item name="Streets/Motorway" icon="presets/motorway.png">
                <label text="Edit a Motorway" />

How can I now group them together with an icon for the group?

Nah, no grouping. I didn't change the data structure that much. Only add
<item name="Streets" icon="presets/motorway.png"></item>
above the first "Streets/..." item as normal item. When the item has no sub-tags (nothing meaningful between <item> and </item>) and also no "/" in the name, then it will be taken as "icon-supplier" (actually as main preset menu initiation, which is otherwise done automatically). Add de:name="Straßen" to have the german translation working (or else you get an icon Streets menu without submenus and Straßen group without icon).
Or you can update translation, has same effect :-)

ATM it is:
  <item name="Streets"></item>
  <item name="Streets/Motorway"></item>

Better would be
  <group name="Straßen"
    <item name="Motorway"></item>
  </group>
but that's a major change I did not want to do right now.

Ciao