On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Dirk Stöcker wrote:

Today I found a bug in the Preferences. If you have no plugins, you get an
NullPointerException.
I described it on the josm-page.
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/1520

Also added a patch for this problem :)

But it would not work. "null" deletes the preferences entry and your fix
prevented this :-) I fixed the bug in SVN.

Because I sometimes forget to write it and I got a remember to be more friendly, one note to you and all others:

I value patches. Make them, send them, but be prepared that I do not always accept them. A note like above means in long:

Thanks for your patch. I checked it. It is the right way, but there was an error with it. The error was this ..., but as it was a minor error I fixed it myself (in this case as I introduced the bug myself also). I'm waiting for your next patch.

I know all beginning is hard and I myself had a hard learning time, because I needed to learn programming all by myself. Thus whenever I write a comment about a patch, it will always contain a text what was wrong and what to fix, so the author and its skills can improve. But be prepared that I sometimes forget the "Thanks" :-)

Ciao