Shaun McDonald wrote:
> If you are zoomed in enough, you will find a little plus in the middle
> of the line. You simply need to drag that plus to get a new node.

But then you drag the segment into a direction you don't want it to go. If you
want the segment to be where it was you will have to straighten it out again
with "L".
Doubleclick seems to work fine, but I already had it happen to me that I
apparently moved the mouse slightly and I created a new node with a segment
coming from that node and going to that node.

And I just found that doubleclicking is also not really handy when adding nodes
to the crossing of two segments. Using shift was IMHO much more convenient and
sure is faster.
If we are having a vote, I am a lot in favour of getting the shift modifier
back.
You don't have to remove the other options, but I see no reason why the shift
was removed and couldn't go back in.

Regards,
Maarten