As a GNU/Linux user, I've been thinking of using JOSM as a "poor man's
Garmin Training Center" that would display me the elevation profiles and
heart rate and cadence statistics of my bike rides.  Displaying the
elevation profiles of GPX tracks would be a good start.  Any suggestions?
As far as I understand, I couldn't use the Garmin software even if I wanted,
because it apparently doesn't run under WINE.

I'm aware of http://viking.sourceforge.net, which can display the elevation
data on the GPX trace itself.  I'd prefer something that displayed the
data in a mouse tooltip when the mouse cursor is positioned over the track
and also in a 2D graph with the time on the horizontal axis and elevation
(cadence, heart rate, speed, whatever things that can be derived from the
data) in different colours on the vertical axis.

I guess I could implement a mouse tooltip for the GPX layer that would
display the timestamp, longitude, latitude, elevation, and possibly other
attributes.  I have no idea how to combine the above mentioned 2D graph
with JOSM (or any map viewer, for that matter).  Maybe right-clicking a
point on the GPX layer could pop up a scrollable graph window that would
show the data centered around the selected point.

        Marko