Why does JOSM now prompt me to save something which I've already
uploaded, even though it was never saved in the past?

Seems to me that this new change solves a problem I wasn't
experiencing.  Here's how I think it should work, which is how it used
to work (as far as I know):

0) If I load a layer and don't change it, I should never be asked if I
want to delete it.

1) If I download a layer from the web, change it, and upload it, I
shouldn't be asked if I want to save it.  If I don't upload it, I
should be prompted "You haven't uploaded these changes yet:
Upload&Delete, Discard Changes, Cancel"

2) If I load a layer from a file, change it, and save it, I shouldn't
be asked if I want to save it.  If I don't save it, I should be
prompted "You haven't uploaded these changes yet: Save&Delete, Discard
Changes, Cancel"

3) If I load a layer from a file, and upload it, that will remove the
internal modification marks.  That counts as a change.  See #2.

4) If I load a layer from the web, change it, and save it as a file, I
shouldn't be asked if I want to upload it.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog