Jiri, OOPs, sorry about misunderstanding the fix, it just shows how
little I know about JOSM. I thought that the problem was "length"
accessing the ArrayList<waypoint> declared in the constructor of
LiveGpsLayer.

Please ignore my comment regarding any work that I might do - it is not
a good way of contributing to an open source project. I regretted
writing that comment. The reality is that I am far from capable of
contributing code to JOSM at the moment. I intend to learn more and do
bits of coding on my own to see if I can understand better how JOSM is
structured and coded.  Should I be so lucky as to be able to do
something useful (e.g. fix a bug), I will let you know but I will try
not to bother you too much since you are the people really making
progress. Keep up the good work,
Ray