On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 09:29:20 +0200, Dirk Stöcker
<openstreet...@dstoecker.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Marko Mäkelä wrote:
>
>> +1. Some days ago, I came across a mkgmap warning for a dead-end oneway
>> in a residential area that was riddled with landuse polygons that shared
>> points with ways. It was very hard to see that the oneway was not
>> connected
>> to the road it was supposed to. I spent several minutes detaching the
>> landuses from the roads in the area.
>
> From my point of view landuses either cross streets or are glued to
> streets. Until we introduce area style streets there is no other sensible
> way.
>
> The method to leave a little space beside the road is broken by design
> and as geodesy is my profession I have the little advantage that map
> making is a part of my profession. Databases where one feature did not
> directly join with the next one cause and caused a lot trouble in GIS
> and will also cause in OSM (when we start to use the data for something
> else beside making a map).

But that is not mapping what's on the ground, on the ground the landuse
does not extend to the center of the road. OSM is not GIS, and it
shouldn't be.

> Regarding the duplicate nodes: Duplicate nodes are an validator ERROR
> whereas everything else you discussed here are warnings and informational
> state.
>
> When JOSM really warns in cases where areas in line features overlap at
> the borders, than that warning needs to be removed.

Definitely not, IMO the warning should be elevated to an error, when
dealing with wide linear features (roads, rivers, etc.).

Teemu Koskinen