Ok, first small change committed "put focus on first field".
Surprisingly, it all worked well and JOSM indicated a new version was
avaialble :D

Keybinding is a bit more difficult: the JDialog has to be replaced by
ExtendedDialog, not very easy for a Java novice but some things seemed
to be working again late yesterday evening...

More updates later.