On Mon, 10 May 2010, Dirk Stöcker wrote:

On Mon, 10 May 2010, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

But as a first resort, I'd encourage you to look at improving your
presentation. I have JOSM 3094 and all that it tells me about upgrading
is this (as the third item on the splash screen):

"Active version '3094' should be updated! The current stable snapshot is
3208 and 3227 is the unstable development version."

...which is a really obscure statement likely to elicit "meh, whatever"
from most non-developer users. What's an "Active version '3094'" when
it's at home? What's a "stable snapshot" - a photograph of a horse? (And
why the passive voice? Computer says it "should be updated". Well, jolly
good, Mr Computer, go and update it then.)

If, instead, it said as the _first_ thing on the page:

"You are using an old version of JOSM with known bugs. Click here to
download the latest version. This old version will stop working in five
days."

I added a secondary more visible version check notice like you suggested.

Seems it helps. Very shortly after a new release we are already at 45% newest tested, 27% last tested and approx 10% previous tested versions. The old versions vanish step-by-step. Seems the large "UPDATE!" was required. Probably we should increase text size to improve results :-)

Ciao