Hi,

I think it would be useful to make formating of primitives
configurable (ie modify DefaultNameFormater class). For example we use
special tagging for hiking routes in Czech Republic and it would be
nice to have these routes displayed differently in relation list view.
It's possible to write plugin for it (see #6535), but it seems like
overkill in this case.

Idea is to have name templates in tagging preset file that will be
used to create primitive display name. Templates are inspired by
mkgmap rules, syntax proposal:

"House {addr:housename}" - Use string "House " and value of addr:housename tag

"?{ 'House number {addr:housenumber} at {addr:street}' | 'House number
{addr:housenumber}'  }" - use first variant if condition is satisfied
(that is both addr:housenumber and addr:street tags exists), second
variant otherwise.

"?{ admin_level = 2 'NUTS 1' | admin_level = 4 'NUTS 2' | admin_level
= 6 'NUTS 3' |  '{admin_level}'}  - as above, but condition is
explicitly defined using search expression.

Name templates can be distributed as part of tagging preset file.
There is already code that lookup tagging preset for primitive that is
used to show presets in Properties dialog. Also there is already
infrastructure for sharing presets. It seems to me like practical
solution though it's a bit unclean to mix presets and name templates
together.

Other possibility is use separated files, then searching for
appropriate template for primitive would be best done by search/filter
expression. Or this is not suitable for core at all and it should be
rather provided via plugin.

It might useful to make it possible to define custom icon for primitive as well.

So what do you think?

--
Jiri Klement