On Mon, 26 Dec 2011 04:30:27 +0100, colliar wrote:

> Am 25.12.2011 09:42, schrieb David Paleino:

> >> [..]
> >>
> >> Therefore the Ubuntu distribution model with fixed versions for half a
> >> year isn't really suitable for our project. (May be different on Debian,
> >> where you can install from "unstable" (?).)
>
> or testing ( or backports ?)

It depends -- from unstable you always get the latest JOSM. In testing you have
a version of josm which makes the "josm-plugins" package installable.
Personally I don't use it myself (while I maintain it), because I use the
packaged josm + plugins downloaded from inside the program.

I cannot speak for backports, see below.

> > Truly speaking, you could this in Ubuntu too -- just add the "newest"
> > repository, and pin josm to be installed from there.
> > In unstable I upload the package as soon as I get some spare time _and_ I
> > notice there is a new version -- that usually means that JOSM in Debian can
> > be at most 2-3 days delayed from upstream. Unless major problems happen :)
>
> +1
>
> Only problem I have is with stable (squeeze). It is really outdated. Is
> there any change of updating ? Maybe use backports ?

"Stable" doesn't -- generally speaking -- accept new versions of packages. The
only way josm could be upgraded in stable is when OSM changes API to 0.7 (or it
becomes otherwise unusable). Also then, the preferred "form of upgrade" would
be a minimal patch to support the new API -- so no new JOSM, really ;) (hey,
it's called "stable" for a reason).

Yes, backports could be a solution. But we severely lack manpower -- I
basically maintain myself most of OSM-related things in Debian, as even my
usual josm co-maintainer is busy atm. If we had more people helping, probably
josm could be packaged in backports :) (that's the main reason of my first
message: spending manpower when there's no real need doesn't seem too wise ;))

(also notice that, to be in backports, we need to make sure that all the needed
lib*-java packages are there, at the right versions. So it could be an easy
task, or a daunting one.)

Have a nice evening,
David

--