On Fri, 20 Jan 2012, Josh Doe wrote:

Are there any guidelines for increasing Plugin-Mainversion, such as
waiting for the required version to be satisfied by josm-tested? Or
just upgrade at will (assuming it's required of course)? I'm thinking
specifically in regards to adding the inside/intersecting/etc search
keywords in utilsplugin2:
http://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/5905

Simply integrate new features and upgrade the plugin version. Users of tested version wont get any upgrades of this plugin anymore until they update as well. They wont notice anything.

We have no bug-fixing branches for JOSM core and also not for plugins.

If you want forther details: It is described somwhere on JOSM wiki. Probably in the developers section.

Ciao