On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Frederik Ramm wrote:

 Actually I read the ticket twice, while it did and does mention about
 the new server bit there is no svn vs git comparison given anywhere on
 the ticket.. The only comment I see therein is for move to github [0]
 but nothing about git specifically. Could you check if there was any
 discussion about git vs svn because it seems slightly strange when
 both potlach2 and OSM have moved to git while JOSM still relying on
 Subversion.

I don't think that your implied "subversion = old, git = new" assumption is valid. Potlatch and the OSM rails port may be using git but these projects are driven by different people and we can and will decide things for ourselves.

I ask myself, when the git hype will cease. It sounds like the Java hype years ago as well as the PHP hype, the SVN hype, the Python hype and all the other hypes in the past.

Well, I actively use C, C++, Perl, Python, Java, JavaScript, CVS, SVN, GIT, Bazaar (beside the stuff I use infrequently) and according to a lot of hypes half of these should already be dead for a long time. Hmm, I agree CVS probably is half-dead :-)

Lets talk about this topic in 5 years again (if the number of active JOSM core developers does not significantly increase inbetween - to about 50 or so).

Ciao