Am 18. April 2012 17:36 schrieb Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org>:
> As far as I understood, at least something like "maxheight" is not
> necessarily a depiction of any real sign. If there's a bridge that's 3m high
> then one would place a maxheight tag even if there is no sign on the ground.

wasn't it you who always wanted to be able to distinguish between
physically possible and legally admitted? If there's a bridge that is
3 metres high and there is no sign (you won't probably find this
anywhere in Germany or Europe on public ground) you could tag the road
with
height=3m

There is also a tag in use for physical maxheights:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:maxheight:physical

IMHO maxheight is for legal limits, but I can see from the wiki that
this might not be consensus amongst all mappers (see for instance
this:  03:16, 18 October 2009 Skippern (Talk | contribs) (747 bytes)
(Undo revision 358573 by Tordanik (Talk) - The usage of maxheight
cover physical as well, so removing legal from description) (undo)  )

cheers,
Martin