That works well, so long as I hide the Bing imagery and the data layer and
then show the mapnik layer. Then my JOSM screen resembles the "other"
screen such as the OSMI or "keep right" mapnik screens and I can then
visually reposition to the wanted area.

However showing the mapnik layer and hiding the Bing and data layers is
quite fiddley and takes many seconds (can be 10 or so) and is even worse if
the tiger 2012 layer is loaded as well. Still, a quick method to hide all
layers and turn on mapnik and a method to hide mapnik and reshow all
previous shown layers would also work perfectly for me.

At the the moment I am fixing hundreds of validation errors in Canberra, so
I am repositioning very often.