On 2013-11-27 11:58, Minh Nguyen wrote:
On 23:12 2013-11-26, Florian Lohoff wrote:
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 03:46:47PM -0700, Martijn van Exel wrote:
So the relation between the east--west and north--south member roles
is equivalent to the relation between forward--backward.

Because the cardinal direction is commonly included on the road signs
(see example http://www.aaroads.com/west/new_mexico010/bl-010_eb_at_i-010.jpg)
this information is useful in the U.S. (and Canadian) context as a
drop in replacement for the traditional forward / backward role
members.

I still dont get it - Which relation would need this as a role?

If this is a signposted destination i would expect it in the
destination or destination:lane tag on the road as west e.g.

destination:lanes=West;Los Angeles|East;Boston

For example Mapfactor Navigator will use this to show destinations.

backward/forward as role are in relation to the ways direction. A tag
can either have a meaning in forward or backward or both directions
on a way. There is no way a tag has a meaning in 56° left of the way.

What should destination:lanes be for either exit in this photo?

http://www.interstate-guide.com/images074/i-074_et_09.jpg

The sign for exit 3 could be read "Hopple Street", "eastbound Route
52", "southbound Route 27", or "southbound Route 127". The cardinal
directions here are not destinations but rather part of the name of
the "side" of the route.

Exit 4 leads to a carriageway that is simultaneously westbound I-74,
westbound US 52, and northbound US 27. Some of us would like to relate
it to an I-74 relation with the role "west" and so on.

Where would you want to put this in? In the relation for the I-74? This exit should not be part of the relation for the I-74. As Florian said: this needs to be put in destination tags on the way. At this point there are problaby two ways, one for the through road (which I believe is I-75?) and one for the exit. The through road has destination:lanes=South;Downtown;I-75|South;East;Hopple St;27;127;52 and the exit has destination:lanes=West;North;Indianapolis;I-74;52;27

I agree with Florian. I do not see the need for north/south/west/east roles in a relation for this.

Regards,
Maarten