I am not sure when exactly this was introduced and if it was on purpose,
but for some months I strongly suffer from interruptions because JOSM stops
drawing the current way and starts a new one (with a gap). This because it
perceives a double click where in reality two shortly intervalled single
clicks are intended.

Is there a button I can push to stop this? (or a Einstein property)? I had
thought this was potlatch-compatibility modus / behaviour, but I have not
activated this in my prefs.

This is really slowing down the work because you have to click slowly and
have to recombine small pieces of ways every now and then.

Also there is already alt+click to start a new way.

Hi Martin, please open a ticket at the JOSM bugtracker [1], including a status report [2].

[1] http://josm.openstreetmap.de/newticket
[2] http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Action/ShowStatusReport

Paul