I've just changed historic=monument Wiki page (after short discussion on Tagging list), so its more precise, however there are still some problems to stop tagging false "monuments".

1. Monument in OSM is probably subset of what most people think monument is, sometimes they refer to memorial and heritage objects. We already have memorial preset and I think it would be good to also add heritage preset to avoid confusion (I guess this is what we could use by default: https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Presets/Heritage ).

2. It would be good to have some "disambiguation" system ("you mean monument, memorial or heritage maybe?") and also aliasing system ("field" probably should be the alias for "farmland"). Combination of them both could make searching right presets easier.

--
"The train is always on time / The trick is to be ready to put your bags down" [A. Cohen]