Never ask for confirmations. It's never the right thing to do unless
you're very short of resources, which we never are these days.

Instead, provide an undo of a layer delete. When they ask to delete a
layer that has changes in it, simply delete it, and pop up a
non-confirmation notice that says "This layer has changes and may be
restored using File/Open Recent".

The problem with a confirmation is that it *really* deletes the data,
which may be the wrong thing. If you're ever at a confirmation point,
clearly somebody might not be thinking correctly, and their answer to
the confirmation might *also* be wrong.

Undo, undo, undo! Never confirm!