On Sun, 19 Feb 2017, Holger Mappt wrote:

It would be interesting to know how important translations are. Maybe it is okay for most of the users to use the English version.

The last days:

8079 (31.7%) en
5489 (21.5%) de
2615 (10.3%) ru
2157 ( 8.5%) fr
1541 ( 6.0%) en_GB
1018 ( 4.0%) es
 849 ( 3.3%) it
 709 ( 2.8%) pl
 468 ( 1.8%) ja
 426 ( 1.7%) nl
 311 ( 1.2%) zh_TW
 309 ( 1.2%) pt_BR
 239 ( 0.9%) zh_CN
 223 ( 0.9%) cs
 186 ( 0.7%) en_AU
 175 ( 0.7%) hu
 126 ( 0.5%) sv
 101 ( 0.4%) id
  92 ( 0.4%) uk
  81 ( 0.3%) sk
  57 ( 0.2%) da
  49 ( 0.2%) fi
  48 ( 0.2%) pt
  45 ( 0.2%) ca
  39 ( 0.2%) lt
  31 ( 0.1%) el
  17 ( 0.1%) nb
   5 ( 0.0%) be
   3 ( 0.0%) tr
   3 ( 0.0%) bg
   2 ( 0.0%) et
   2 ( 0.0%) gl
   1 ( 0.0%) vi
   1 ( 0.0%) ast

62% use a non-english version. That number would probably be higher if the translations in some languages would be better.

I think one of the issues is the enormous number of strings. We reached 10000 a few weeks ago. And there is a pretty high update frequency. You need days to catch up if no translation was done for a few months.

Yes. That's obvious. That burden can only be reduced when distributed to more shoulders (althought single people did translate thousands of texts).

Here everybody with more than 3000 translations:
14921 - pitort                 - ca   = 7959 - ca@valencia= 6962
10844 - andygol                - ru   =  290 - uk   =10554
10486 - Viktar Palsciuk        - be   =10486
10451 - mmyfl                  - zh_CN=10451
10195 - Dirk Stöcker           - de   = 5146 (others: many languages as fixes)
10080 - aceman444              - cs   = 5220 - sk   = 4860
 8594 - Minh Nguyễn            - vi   = 8594
 8132 - DiGro                  - nl   = 8132
 7543 - edrux                  - ast  = 7524 - es   =   19
 7512 - Davide Prade           - it   = 7512
 7441 - RPome                  - pt   = 7441
 6726 - fujimoto               - ja   = 6726
 6186 - Casiope
 5972 - Chao-Hsiung Liao       - zh_TW= 5972
 5698 - Jørn                   - da   = 5698
 5694 - Dalibor Jelínek        - cs   = 5693 - sk   =    1
 5656 - Báthory Péter          - hu   = 5656
 5633 - Casiope                - fr   = 5633
 5335 - Felipe L.              - pt_BR= 5335
 4710 - Vlado                  - sk   = 4710
 4562 - Dee-earlsoft           - en_GB= 4562
 3873 - Emilio Gomez Fernandez - es   = 3872 - fr   =    1
 3858 - Sophea Sok             - km   = 3858
 3720 - Aleksey Kabanov        - ru   = 3720
 3584 - Robert Readman         - en_AU= 3266 - en_GB=  318
 3309 - Ettore Atalan          - de   = 3309
 3110 - Rui                    - pt   = 3110
 3097 - Hiroshi Miura          - ja   = 3097
 3035 - Vitor George           - pt_BR= 3035

Another issue is the quality of the strings. Some source strings are not English (but French, Dutch, Polish, etc), have unknown acronyms in it, or

These are bugs and should be fixed.

it's just not clear what the string is about. That mainly affects plugins and the imagery. I sometimes open a ticket if the quality is bad. JOSM core tickets are resolved promptly, but plugin authors are lazy or don't respond

Yes. That's an issue. The success of JOSM has some drawbacks and unmaintained plugins is one of them. The core developers try to manage them, but we already have lots of core issues. No solution for this ATM. For things like translating issues tickets should nevertheless be opened. They are usually easy to fix and thus also easy to handle by the core team.

at all. There is no good way to address issues with the imagery strings (there is actually no way).

See answers in related ticket #12179.

One solution could be to separate the JOSM core strings from the plugin and imagery strings. Then translators can concentrate on the JOSM core, it would reduce the timeout errors, and it becomes doable to actually translate all (core) strings.

The other solution would be the long discussed migration to transifex. It includes also the splitting in 3 string groups.

Plugins are a different topic. I think there is no way to attract people to translate a large number of strings that nobody will ever read. An idea would be to rank the untranslated strings by the number of plugin installations (do we know this?) to start with the important strings. But Launchpad sorts them alphabetically, not by importance.

Oh. We know EVERYTHING :-) Don't ask me why this list has reversed order to the languages though - probably I implemented them at different times...

   4 (* 0.1%) NanoLog
  10 (* 0.2%) matsim
  15 (* 0.2%) videomapping
  22 (* 0.3%) sds
  27 (* 0.4%) globalsat
  32 (* 0.5%) czechaddress
  35 (* 0.6%) michigan_left
  35 (* 0.6%) epci-fr
  37 (* 0.6%) plastic_laf
  38 (* 0.6%) native_password_manager
  41 (* 0.6%) wms-turbo-challenge2
  45 (* 0.7%) canvec_helper
  46 (* 0.7%) scoutsigns
  48 (* 0.8%) OSMRecPlugin
  48 (* 0.8%) surveyor
  50 (* 0.8%) touchscreenhelper
  51 (* 0.8%) o5m
  51 (* 0.8%) pointInfo
  51 (* 0.8%) TombPlugin
  54 (* 0.9%) SeaChart
  57 (* 0.9%) indoor_sweepline
  60 (* 0.9%) Tracer
  61 (* 1.0%) rex
  71 (* 1.1%) junctionchecking
  71 (* 1.1%) Tracer-testing
  75 (* 1.2%) ColumbusCSV
  82 (* 1.3%) indoorhelper
  83 (* 1.3%) pt_assistant
  89 (* 1.4%) imagery-xml-bounds
  94 (* 1.5%) gpsblam
  98 (* 1.5%) osm-obj-info
  99 (* 1.6%) conflation
 100 (* 1.6%) CADTools
 103 (* 1.6%) CommandLine
 106 (* 1.7%) colorscheme
 107 (* 1.7%) CustomizePublicTransportStop
 109 (* 1.7%) rasterfilters
 111 (* 1.8%) tagging-preset-tester
 114 (* 1.8%) waypoint_search
 115 (* 1.8%) livegps
 116 (* 1.8%) namemanager
 120 (* 1.9%) ImageWayPoint
 121 (* 1.9%) mbtiles
 122 (* 1.9%) ImproveWay
 130 (* 2.1%) DxfImport
 131 (* 2.1%) SeaMapEditor
 132 (* 2.1%) kendzi3d_Improved_by_Andrei
 134 (* 2.1%) openvisible
 134 (* 2.1%) routes
 138 (* 2.2%) ColorPlugin
 142 (* 2.2%) Create_grid_of_ways